Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tendrils...

It was time for haircuts for all of the Griffin guys.
Even for Toben. He's 14 months old now, and since I could pretty much gather all the hair around the crown of his head into a little ponytail, it was time for a haircut.
Don't think it didn't pain me a little to watch those sweet curls fall to the floor...

(don't you like the Edward Scissorhands-esque motion I've got going on? Ha!)
His hair is so fine and incredibly soft that the clippers wouldn't have worked well on his hair, so I cut it all using scissors.
You'll just have to wait until a future post to see what he looks like now... Both Ryan and I were a little preoccupied with bathing a boy or giving a boy a haircut or keeping a boy (and dog) out of hair clippings to take an "after" photo.

Speaking of photos... I've come to a conclusion that I do not post much at all anymore because I am incredibly (and most likely unnecessarily) picky about the quality of photo that I put on the blog. I realized this evening, while reading through some other blogs and wondering "how are they so good at documenting life?" that I am hung up on being as close to perfect as I can be. Yes, I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist. I come by it honestly.
What I remembered was this: Life is not perfect. I am not perfect. My family is not perfect. My photos are not perfect. {Thankfully my God is. Whew. But I'm not Him. Duh.}
So... Why not post things as they are? I spend a large chunk of my time each week editing photos for others, to give them a product that they are proud to display on their desks, walls, in their wallets, on their blogs, etc., and I will continue to edit many of my family's photos to enhance them as well. However, for a majority of photos you will find on this blog from this point forward, I will do my best to not make any bones about them not being 100% crisp and focused, perfectly metered, or altogether aesthetically pleasing. {Y'all, I'm doing this for me. I realize most of you don't give one owl hoot about photo editing...so just bear with me.}
When I go to a photo session for a client, I take the utmost care to watching my camera settings, and usually come away with many images the client is proud to have. At home, though, the boys might be doing something fun and I'm concerned about capturing them and tend to forget my settings on the fly... therefore I don't have the high number of crisp, clear images that I might in a session. It bugs me that all of this isn't fully second-nature, but hopefully it will get there someday. Maybe by the time they graduate. From college.
For now, this digital scrapbook needs some more regular attention. More straight-out-of-camera (SOOC) shots like the ones above are on the way, soon.

No comments: