Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Running in NOLA...

As mentioned in the previous post, I ran the Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans half marathon on Sunday, March 4th. It was really hard for me to leave that Saturday morning, just after Toben's visit to the ER. I was so worried about his teeth! However, my amazing husband had it all well under control. He encouraged me over and over to go ahead and leave, to enjoy my time with Erin, and to run the race that I had been working hard towards. (He later would tell me over the phone that it's probably a good thing that I was out of town that weekend, as I would likely be obsessing over Toben the whole time had I been home! Ahh, truth.)
So, off to New Orleans we went and we had a great time! Sunday, race day, saw PERFECT weather and gorgeous conditions for running. It was a cool start in the upper 40s/low 50s. There were some hilarious spectator signs along the run -- two of my favorites were "This is the WORST parade EVER!" in reference to the Mardi Gras parades held just a couple weeks prior, and "You've got stamina - call me!" seen at mile 12 (OK, that one was a little on the sketchy side, but at that point it made me chuckle and helped me to re-focus!). Erin and I ran together until mile 11, where she encouraged me to go on ahead. I finished in 2:35 and she was shortly behind me at 2:38. This is ten whole minutes shaved off of my time in San Antonio! I was excited about that. New goals are in the works for next fall... I don't think I'll run any more half marathons this spring and summer -- it's getting too hot too fast! Maybe some 5K's and 10K's though.

These photos are in crazy order. Oops!
Highlights of the trip: Seeing where Erin grew up (in Mandeville, right across Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans), seeing where she went to nursing school in NOLA, driving around historic NOLA along the race route, running the half (duh!), eating beignets at Cafe Du Monde, walking around the French Quarter and along Pirate's Alley (first pic above), sleeping in on Monday morning, napping on Sunday afternoon, spending time with Erin.

No comments: