Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An unexpected goodbye...

Logan, with food all over his face and hair after eating pizza recently

"So then there was this time...."
That's what we used to say when there was an awkward lull in conversation in college - somehow it broke the tension and we all became silly again.  It's funny, because that's all I can think of in starting this post!

I believe we've said goodbye to Logan's paci and his favorite "lovey", his puppy dog.  It was a tiny little puppy head attached to a small, fuzzy blanket body.  No bigger than an envelope, it was his constant companion at naptime and bedtime, and often during fussy times inbetween.
  
Here's how we think it happened...

Last night, Ryan was outside trying to water our parched grass, and I was inside with the two boys.  At one point, I was assisting Caleb in the boys' bathroom - you know, so he could do his business - and Logan was elsewhere.

{Cue flushing toilet noise from the bathroom at the other side of the house.  Three or four times.}

I rushed over to pull Logan out of the bathroom, and I noticed that one of his hands was wet.  He got into a bit of trouble for playing in the toilet, and we washed his hands.  He's had a bit of an obsession with flushing toilets ever since we started potty training his big brother.

Ryan came back inside, and it was nearing the boys' bedtime.  I asked Ryan if he had seen Puppy or paci, and he said no.  The last time I remembered seeing it was shortly after he went outside to water the grass, so we proceeded to turn the house upside down looking for both of these precious items.

No luck.

We even looked in cabinets that Logan doesn't even have access to, and turned the couch cushions over in pursuit of Puppy and paci.  It was just odd that BOTH items disappeared at once, and neither one could be found.

Through all of this, I have had a nagging feeling that Puppy and paci were somewhere on a water-filled 'vacation' ...but couldn't bring myself to fully believe it.  I still can't prove it, but neither one have shown up to this point.

In the end, we still had to put Logan down to bed without his favorite Puppy and without a paci - I didn't get out a new one for him, because we were going to break him of the paci habit soon anyhow.  After about 30 minutes of fussing, he did fall asleep and slept pretty well all night.
Right now, though - he's been fussing and crying for about an hour and a half (it's naptime) and I am the one missing Puppy and paci!

Wouldn't you know it ... I don't even have a picture of Puppy.  (Update: Check out this post and you'll see Puppy!  Logan is holding him in the picture where he's showing off his belly button.  Thanks, Mom/Gram for pointing that out!!)
Farewell, little friends.  Thank you for not clogging our plumbing on the start of your new adventure!

(Update:  We've had a bit of fun surrounding the supposed circumstances of Puppy and paci's disappearance...  Statements such as "Hope they enjoyed their flume ride!  Hope they didn't crash into too many logs along the way!  What a wet and wild trip they're on!  Man, they're getting one huge swirlie!" have been heard around here.  May as well have fun with it!)

4 comments:

kelli said...

no way! did you see that news story just today (or yesterday?) about the four year old boy who flushed his REAL puppy down the toilet?! a plumber rescued it from the pipes under the house next door or something. it lived! i guess a plumber isn't going to respond for a toy puppy though huh...

wish kenna would flush her paci. that's not going to be a fun battle.
hope nap times get easier real fast foryour sake!

GramPapa said...

Checkout April 4th blog, there is a great memorial pic - one of my favorite of our little man. Gram

Allison said...

Awwwww...puppy and paci...farewell old friends! Sometimes a quick flush is the best way to go. I'm sure they are keeping all the other flushed treasures company today!

Anonymous said...

Aww, sorry Logan!
Love,
Aunt Cella
xoxox