This week has been one of the tougher ones I've faced as a parent. Some might say it's because my oldest boy is 2 1/2 and his age would be enough of an explanation, others would think it's because my 7 1/2 month old is teething, and still others would think it's because of the economy and the weather that we're all driving each other crazy.Only God knows.
Whatever the explanation, I don't think I've prayed for patience and wisdom so much in my (parenting) life! Caleb is testing me at every turn, and being very defiant. This just wears me down - trying to stay firm, steady and un-emotional, and consistent is very tough and mentally draining! I find myself repeating in my head "I love this boy, I love this boy..." during particularly trying moments just to make it through.
Have you seen the movie "Evan Almighty"? ...the second "Almighty" movie, with Steve Carell? God, played by Morgan Freeman, made a very profound point. Or, at least, it seemed profound to me. He basically said at one point after Evan discovered he was to be the Noah of our generation that when we pray for patience, He gives us opportunities to be patient. When we pray for strength, He gives us opportunities to be strong.
Believe me, I'm not one to base my theological beliefs from Hollywood movies, but I do think that little bit of dialogue holds more truth to it than most other conversations you'll see in the movies.
It certainly seems as though God is giving me plenty of opportunities to be patient and strong in raising my boys at this time. He won't let me down, so I'll just keep praying and leaning on Him in the meantime...
I've heard the payoff is pretty awesome down the road.
4 comments:
Know the feeling - those are the days when we think "it's a good thing God made you kids cute!"
Hang in there Mama!
I wish we lived closer, we could trade kids for a few hours.
Hi Sara! My first comment, though I love taking a look at your blog from time to time! This one hit home. All I can say is, Skip age THREE! About three more weeks until #2 makes her arrival and I wonder how in the world I'm going to do it. God is definitely giving us lots of opportunities for patience, I agree with you completely! - Lori
Your Grandpa was at the Stockman this morning for coffee. He came and set down by me and said he knew I was watching your blog. I asked if he wanted to say "hi" to you ..... he was a bit bashful, but this is what I got. http://stockmancafe.blogspot.com/2008/07/hi-katy.html
Grandpa says "hi" ... http://stockmancafe.blogspot.com/2008/07/hi-katy.html
Post a Comment